Portland Thorns FC today announced the team’s season-opening roster for the 2013 National Women’s Soccer League season.
Led by head coach Cindy Parlow Cone, a two-time Olympic gold medalist with 158 career appearances and 75 goals for the U.S. Women’s National Team, and assistant coaches John Galas and Nate Berry, Thorns FC enter the regular season with a deep and experienced roster, featuring a total of 15 players with experience at the youth or senior national team level for the United States or Canada.
Some notes on the Thorns FC roster:
* U.S. Women’s National Team midfielder Tobin Heath is not listed on the active roster, but is expected to join the team following the completion of her contract with French side Paris Saint-Germain this summer.
* NWSL First Round draft pick Kathryn Williamson made the final roster but Forward Nicolette Radovcic and goalkeeper Roxanne Barker – picks in the second and fourth rounds, respectively – were waived. Third round pick Amber Brooks is currently playing in Germany for Bayern Munich.
* NWSL Supplemental Draft picks who made the roster include: Angie Kerr, Jessica Shufelt and Marian Dougherty
* Free agent signings who made the roster: Allie Long, Nikki Marshall, Nikki Washington and Becky Edwards, make up some of the club’s more experienced professional players.
* Discovery players who made the roster include: Jazmyne Avant, Meleana Shim, Courtney Wetzel, Danielle Foxhoven, Emilee O’Neil and Adelaide Gay.
Thorns FC start the 2013 NWSL regular season on Saturday, April 13, against FC Kansas City at Shawnee Mission District Stadium in Overland Park, Kan.; kickoff is set for 5:35 p.m. (Pacific). Thorns FC return to the Rose City for the team’s home-opening match against Seattle Reign FC on Sunday, April 21 at JELD-WEN Field; kickoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. (Pacific).